E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Timing Discussion

RDM Timing Discussion Discussion and questions relating to the timing requirements of RDM.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 15th, 2015   #1
dannito

Default Understanding the timing based on the RDM standard

Hello everyone,

I am trying to build a transparent in-line device (repeater) with AVR micro controller for receiving and logic control. In order to do that I need to clarify for myself some details. As far as I can understand the RDM requirements, the in-line device has certain rules to follow when activating port turnings:

1. During discovery. Whenever it sees the first preamble 0xFE it must turn all the transceivers to receiver mode.
1.1 Listening to each Command port, and soon as one of them is pulled to LOW state it must route its data to responders PORT so the console could receive it. As well as to "mute" the rest of the Command ports during its data delivering (?).
OR
1.2. Just route all the data received from each Command port to Responder Port?
(Is it 1.1 or 1.2 ?)

2.0. The time period for the port turning is 5.8mS? Then it switches back to normal forward data flow.

3.0. During non-Discovery mode, after receiving an RDM request packet, the first port that is pulled to a LOW state for the start of a BREAK becomes the active port. If the Port which is pulled LOW is Responder port, the In-line device must return to normal data flow mode. If this port is not Responder, it must send its data to:
3.1 Only to Responder?
3.2 Every other ports on the device?

4.0 The whole time for this port turning is again 5.8mS? After it, switches back to forward data flow.

Please accept my apologies, but I am new to this and it's all I can understand reading the standard.

Cheers,
Dani
dannito is offline   Reply With Quote