E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old June 22nd, 2009   #1
-dalc-

Default LAMP ON MODE

Rdm standard provides the "LAMP ON MODE OFF" mode (Lamp stays off until directly instructed to strike).
I was requested (from one of the biggest italian service) to provide a mode in witch Lamp stays off independently from any other condition (Lamp stays off despite instructed to strike).
This could be very useful during device testings.
I could implement this mode as a "manufacturer specific mode", but I think that it would be interesting to insert it among standard modes.
-dalc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

My concern would be in adding a mode to a defined message that isn't widely supported. Having a mode that explicitly ignores all commands to strike would often make the product appear broken. Hence, why I don't think there would be very wide support for it.

I'd be curious in understanding their needs with this a bit more. Obviously as you mentioned this could be handled with a manufacturer-specific message and that may be the best option.
Old June 23rd, 2009   #3
-dalc-

Once i thought it wasn't a useful thing but then I spoke with a service technician and he told me about the control tests of a fixture coming back from a show.
The usual way is to plug the fixture to the controller and testing the fixture changing DMX values manually, without configuring the device in the controller. So it could be very easy to accidentaly strike the lamp and, If someone is working around the fixture, or fixture is opened, this action could be harmful for eyes.
A "LAMP FORCED OFF MODE" could be considered as a safety precaution.
I think it is unlike this mode makes the product appear broken, since it would be well signalled in the fixture display and/or in the controller display.
Old June 23rd, 2009   #4
-dalc-

Once i thought it wasn't a useful thing but then I spoke with a service technician and he told me about the control tests of a fixture coming back from a show.
The usual way is to plug the fixture to the controller and testing the fixture changing DMX values manually, without configuring the device in the controller. So it could be very easy to accidentaly strike the lamp and, If someone is working around the fixture, or fixture is opened, this action could be harmful for eyes.
A "LAMP FORCED OFF MODE" could be considered as a safety precaution.
I think it is unlike this mode makes the product appear broken, since it would be well signalled in the fixture display and/or in the controller display.
Old June 23rd, 2009   #5
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

If a fixture is left in this mode a controller (especially one without RDM fully integrated) would never be able to turn the lamp on. That would typically appear broken.

Most fixtures typically have a two step process for striking the lamps that involves more than wiggling just a single channel.
Old June 24th, 2009   #6
-dalc-

As an engineer, I agree with you. But LJs and service technicians don't reason in the same manner (Also I've noticed that professional users have opposite ideas from low end users...).
I was explicitally requested to implement a single step process for striking the lamp, so I'll implement "LAMP FORCED OFF" mode as a "manufacturer specific mode".
Howewer I think It could be a good thing for controllers to set "lamp on mode" to "LAMP ON MODE ON" or "LAMP ON MODE OFF" before sending a set "lamp state" comand (so lamp handling returns totally under the control of the controller).
Old June 25th, 2009   #7
dangeross

Default LAMP FORCED OFF

We've implemented a similar function but not for lamp control. One thing we did was make the command non-persistent so that a reset or power cycle would return our device to normal operation.
dangeross is offline   Reply With Quote