E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old February 24th, 2016   #1
prwatE120
Task Group Member

Default Response to GET:QUEUED MESSAGE when NACKing query

If a controller sends a GET:QM to a responder, what PID should appear in the responders reply when the responder is NACKing the query?

Reasons for the NACK might be Format Error, Data out of Range etc.
prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

I ran into this when I was implementing queued messages also.

My conclusion is that if you are NACK'ing the GET QM, then you should have the QM PID in the response.

If the controller sees another PID in the response (say IDENTIFY_DEVICE), then it will assume that it just retrieved a queued NACK for an Identify that it sent in the past, rather than realizing that it's actually a NACK for the GET QM.

A controller probably should accept STATUS_MESSAGES in the PID also, although in my implementation I only put the STATUS_MESSAGES PID in the response when I'm ACK'ing a GET:QM.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016   #3
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Agree with Eric here. The only logical thing to respond in the NACK with is QM.
Old February 24th, 2016   #4
prwatE120
Task Group Member

I have also coded along the lines that Eric has, and reply with QM as the PID in the NACK.

We might all think it is logical, but it is not defined behaviour as per the E1.20 document, which states the response to a QM shall be a STATUS_MESSAGE response.

10.3.1 "A responder with no messages queued shall respond to a QUEUED_MESSAGE message with a STATUS_MESSAGES response. "

Where do we state that this does not apply to a NACK from a responder with no messages queued ?

Are we happy to allow either PID in NACK responses, and add this behaviour to an E1.20 erratta ?

prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote